Monday, July 9, 2007

Hair Thieves

Rose Columbia from Wilted Rose sent out a warning about a new shop by Schmu Abdallah(when asked, she claims she made all the hair she sells all by herself) that has opened up selling prim for prim copies of top hair designers' wigs and textures. Many of the styles are the copybot versions discussed by Sasy Scarborough in her Copy Bot Items Resold blog report but this shop also has styles there were not part of that group which includes at least one style from Wilted Rose and another from Panache Hair. Be warned that it is not only hair but clothing and furniture at the shop.

The problem is that many new players do not understand the importance or the hard work that designer put into their creations so they go on buying from the thieves. I urge all the designers to file a DMCA with Linden Labs. Once this is filed, if your hair is being sold on SLX or SLB you can file to have it removed from there.

I have tried hard to find the original creators of the styles through exploring and checking in game the styles credited in Sasy's blog but I am still missing some. I urge you that if you like the style to buy only from the real hair designers and not some knock off thief. Unfortunately, as Sasy pointed out, many of the sellers of the items in her blog do not even know they are selling stolen hair designs because they bought them as part of a business kit on SL Exchange or SL Boutique. If you can help update this list, please let me know. I wanted to thank Wednesday Soon for helping track some of these down with Sasy and I.

A. Black Night/Dye Hard - ETD - Shara II - Modeled by Pica Paperdoll(discontinued)
B. Red Run/Tangles - ETD - Airy (which now costs $1L at ETD for a fat pack)
C. Red Explosion/Tease Me - Panache Hair - Faith Midnyte (which is only $5L for a fat pack at Panache)
D. Biker Hair - Happy Dispatch - Wolf
E. Men's Spiked - Unknown
F. Red Ruffles - Rising Phoenix Designs - Wicked
G. Bun Fun - Kin - Chu
H. Brunette Magic/Eclipz - Taunt - Stephanie or ETD - Starley
I. Blonde Beauty/Top Knot - DG Innovations - Windy
J. Anime/Power Surge - Barerose - Exodus
K. Cherry Bomber - Unknown
L. Male Charcoal Hair - Launa Fauna - Pulled Back
M. Shear Illusion - Panache Hair - Drakk
N. Lock of Luck - Wilted Rose - Erika
O. Classy - Hair by Cher - Miss Elegance (which is free at Hair by Cher)
P. Mane Event - Gurl 6 Hair - Unbrushed
Q. Choice Cut - Unknown
R. Cut Loose - Candi Honey's Greta (Free at SYD and other free places on SL)
S. Sassy - Here Comes Trouble - Mallory (which is only $1L for a fat pack at HCT)







*************************************************************************************
Update 6/6/07:
I am slowly adding links to pictures of the real style by the real designers. On an added note, apparently they really don't like Sasy or I because we have the rare distinction of being banned from their land twice for talking. Be careful folks, discussing with landowners about theft can result on banning. LOL.

Originally posted 6/5/07. Redated for updated information.

*************************************************************************************
Update 7/9/07:
The latest word is that after going through the DMCA process, one designer got Linden Labs to make Schmu Abdallah take down her style. However, she put it up full perm that same day under the name "Kiss My A**". The following morning the new style was down and the old style, the one the DMCA was filed on, was back up again. The designer was told by the Linden who handled this claim to refile her claim. My question is this: Why should she have to refile the claim when this person is clearly not complying with the original claim? This is crazy. So basically this can begin a endless loop of her being told to take it down and her putting it back up with the poor designer having to refile over and over. This system is clearly not fair.

Originally posted 6/5/07. Redated for updated information.

20 comments:

Sasy Scarborough said...

S I think is Mallory by HCT Babyboo sent out a notice today but not sure as Im not in world

Unknown said...

Don't know if it matters as they are super close to one another, but B is really Ginny by ETD. It's like Airy, but is a slightly updated version.

Teagan Blackthorne said...

Ahhh, I was looking at someone wearing airy next to the ad. I will add it. I own Mallory so when I log in I will check that one out as well.

Rose Columbia said...

I had IMed Schmu Abdallah last night about this, she claims she made these styles herself even after I pointed out that I was looking at my hair and "hers" rezzed right next to each other and could see no difference...I went back to her shop this morning & she had changed the display for my hair, its now $50 for all the colors and no longer has a demo to try. Pretty shading actions for someone that supposedly created this style.

レベカ ギルモア said...

Thanks for the heads up on this, I help run a mall and we have a merchant who sells just about all this hair.. I really don't want this hair sold at our mall if this is the case, the photos she has up are exactly the ones posted here. I'll have a chat when SL comes back up.. maybe the seller doesn't know either O_o

Teagan Blackthorne said...

Many of the sellers may not be aware because of the stuff on slx and slb. However Schmu Abdullah's collection contains several others that are not part of that collection that are also exact copies. I tried on Mallory and the demo for Drakk just before the shut down and compared them with their rip off copies. They are the same.

Sasy Scarborough said...

I Rowan Carrol has the original I just cant remember what it was off the top of my head (no pun ) and P looks like it might be leetah moxies Sasy the long version but im not sure but it definitly looks like her style though , this is getting worse than just the hair in a box pack being sold and Cherry you are the FIRST to come out and say you wont tolerate someone having it in the mall you rent out space at , good for you ...because the fact that others we have all contacted havent given a **** has been so depressing

Teagan Blackthorne said...

When we get back up, I will check those out. Someone had suggested that P might be something at Gurl 6 also but that is a lot of hair to compare with. Cherry, Sasy is right. Many of the other mall owners do not really care that they have these items for sale in their shops and get very defensive. One guy I overheard said something along the lines of: so what, if people don't know and buy from him, who cares.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, A is not ETD's The Long. The Long actually covers one eye, if you look at the ad. I think that might still be ETD, perhaps Shara II?

Kalia Meiklejohn said...

Wow, that's awful, I can't imagine how the designers must feel.
:(
Mind if I link to you in my blog Teagan?

Teagan Blackthorne said...

We have confirmation that B is Airy. You can now purchase this style at ETD for $1L in the willow fat pack.

Laynie said...

For someone who claims to have made all the hair herself, it's amusing and sad that she doesn't realize someone else is listed as having made several of the wigs.

Anonymous said...

Posted this in Copybot Items Sold
---------------------------------
I want to point out something that you are all missing here and that is that copybot only takes a "baked" copy of an object with no individual prims. So, in order for that to happen, the hair object would have had to be sitting out somewhere to take a copy. It could not be copybot'ed as an attachment on someone or in a picture. So, before blaming someone for using copybot (and putting it all over your pictures and titles), I suggest that you get the correct information. What's more likely here is that someone is out there copying your designs rather than selling copybot items. The Japanese have been doing this for years with consumer electronics :-) and it's not a violation of SL TOC btw.

Teagan Blackthorne said...

Jaxon, hair being an object, can be placed on the ground so your logic that it cannot be copied because it is on someone's head is incorrect. All they would have to do is drag their hair to the ground and it would be "sitting out somewhere to take a copy". You really should do your research before trying to defend your renter. Besides which, several of the styles involved are from an earlier problem and your renter is claiming that she has made them all by herself, every last prim.

Anonymous said...

Teagon, you have the wrong Jaxon - not my renter.

You need to read more closely what I said. I did say that it CAN be copied and that it would have to be placed on the ground to do so AND it would have to have full copy permissions. And again, what I said specifically is that it cannot be copied while being worn on someones head.

Teagon, you really should undertand how copybot works before putting up postings blaming copybot.

Teagan Blackthorne said...

First off, that is not my name.

Second, if the items were full perm then a copybot would not be needed. I know for damn sure that people like Rose, Six, Cher, et al, do not just throw their items out there full perm.

Third, clearly you are trying to make it sound like you know what you are talking about to protect your renter, business partner, friend, whoever she is to you but the community at large knows the truth: Those styles are all stolen from top name designers.

You cannot fool the design community into thinking otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I picked up the 'Red Explosion' knockoff before I knew its provenance, but now I'm going to head for Panache and make sure my money gets to the real designer. Thanks for alerting people to this. I'm a newbie and don't have a lot of money, but even I can see that protecting people's creative work and intellectual property is way more important than access to cheap hair.

Rose Columbia said...

After filing another DMCA the item was removed again and so far I haven't seen her put it back out, but, for some reason they didn't remove the style from her lucky chair. I'm really getting tired of filing these damn reports.
Although, I do urge anyone that finds their items being resold to file a DMCA. It may be a tedious process but if you file it correctly the first time (which most people dont)things will eventually get done. I think if someone is selling items from many designers who all file DMCAs then LL can't jsut sit back and do nothing.

Tami said...

I filed a DMCA on one of my styles and got results within 2 weeks on the first try. Strangely enough the guy who says he was doing nothing wrong now has me banned from the store he was selling my style. But I got there anyway :) and confirmed it is in fact removed and I'm pleased with the results. As Rose said it is a tedious process but you will feel better when you see your items removed. Good luck!

Washu Zebrastripe said...

Very late reply! Sorry! I'm noticing more and more of the Stolen hair being in the hands of so many people, wanting to make a profit with so little work. Its making it harder to rent out mall spots. I'm trying to keep an eye out for anyone selling anything fishy. To try to keep these out of Hairspray, I've made a no "Business in Box" rule with the new renters. Hopefully that will help, but if anyone is around, and sees anything that you think might be stolen goods, please inform me. I absolutely will NOT tolerate it in Hairspray.
-- Washu Zebrastripe